Sonia Wilkinson is an acrylics artist in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Working through a design process, Wilkinson recreates the human face in unusual ways using distorted, textured and colourful lines and shapes. What continues to fascinate and surprise Wilkinson is a facial expression emerges every time. A thought can almost be read on each bizarre face. Wilkinson’s quirky images follow a 22-year career as a graphic designer and a lifetime of playing. Her hope is for her art to be an escape from the stress and chaos we all deal with every day. The list of influences is ever-growing: Pablo Picasso’s cubism and his use of colour, style and artistic playfulness; Henry Moore’s graceful lines; Thomas Fedro’s graffiti-style faces that are gritty and humorous; plus numerous other artists Wilkinson comes across on a daily basis who are working, creative warriors and business tycoons.
- 2018 October 10 to 15. Arta Gallery, Passion for Life Exhibit (paired with Water for Life International Exhibition), Distillery District, Toronto, Ontario. Shy was exhibited.
- 2017 The Bell Tower, The Gaber & Bell Tower Artist Mentorship Program, Fort Erie, 2017. Road Ahead was exhibited.
Lundy’s Lane Utility Box Project
- 2018 Chosen to create art to cover 11 utility boxes that lines Lundy’s Lane in Niagara Falls, Ontario. (Work in progress)
- 2017+ Mentored by International renowned artist Antoine Gaber. Continuing.
- 1995 Diploma in Graphic Design, Sheridan College, Oakville, Ontario
- 1980s Dundas Valley School of Art, Dundas, Ontario. Several classes throughout the ’80s.
I would like to take a moment to thank those who have helped me in a major way.
- Antoine Gaber for inspiring me with his tenacious dedication to using his art to make a difference (largely for breast cancer research) and his tireless passion for supporting artists. (AntoineGaber.com)
- The 12 Week Bandits: Fiona Verdouw (fionaverdouw.com) and Cara Lawson-Ball (caralawsonball.com) for being fantastic accountability partners with weekly calls that are so very helpful! You guys inspire me so much and the wisdom is profound.
- Jason Horejs @ Art Business Academy (artbusinessacademy.net) for creating an incredible course on art business and for being there for the students, like me, who have a lot of questions!
- Cory Huff and The Abundant Artist (theabundantartist.com) for writing a fantastic book and for creating a group for artists to meet and learn from each other.
- Maria Brophy (mariabrophy.com) for also writing a fantastic book and for creating a group for artists to meet and learn from each other.
- Least of all I want to thank my friends and family for putting up with my stubborn drive to make a living at something that doesn’t drive me crazy. 🙂
There are many more I would like to thank, so I will continue to add to this list as time goes on.